Friday, November 6, 2009

Pre-Winter Blahs and Wahoos

Well, it's finally getting close to winter. In some ways, I'm getting pretty bummed about it. Although I do enjoy some winter activites, such as coyote hunting, coyote hunting and coyote hunting, It feels like I am not looking forward to this winter. It means MUCH less time on the bike. Motorcycle riding is something that I took up again this summer and found out that I really, really enjoy. I put nearly 10,000 miles on the bike this summer and loved every minute of it. I think I have a couple more good days of riding before it gets too cold to really enjoy it.

So now I have to try and shift my attention away from the open road and into the open West Desert of Utah. Hopefully this year shapes up well, I've noticed that fur prices are on the rise overall and if the winter is good to me I just might make enough to nearly pay for the gas to go out there. I still find it amazing that during the late 80s a nice western prime pelt would get you about $60 and now, if you get $25 for the same pelt you're doing really, really well.

One thing I have noticed over the past few years though, the number Varmint/Predator hunters has gone absolutely insane! It almost seems like everyone has figured out that stalking the predators is one of the absolute best ways to keep the hunting skills sharp in the 'off-season'. In some ways it's nice because the influx of new blood, the huge assortment of new equipment and a more open-minded view on predator hunting is great. In others it is not, newbie hunters educating the prey until they will not even come it at all or are so wary that they hold up really far out and never give you the chance at even getting a shot off. A lot of my favorite hunting places from years past have been completely cleaned out, which is both a good and a bad thing. It forces me to explore new areas and try new tactics to succeed. Sadly, I think as the sport grows it will eventually gain the attention of the .gov. There has already been talk in the DWR about regulating predator hunting and the possible ban of electronic calling devices.

Guess we will have to just watch and see what goes on and wait for the next varminting season..... Spring Rockchuck hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment